Friday, February 20, 2009

INTRODUCTION

About six or seven years ago, I received Disney archivist Dave Smith's Disney A to Z encyclopedia. After seeing his official list of feature-length theatrical releases I was surprised to find out how many I hadn't seen or even heard of. It became my objective to watch all of them. As of today, I have seen 280 of the 312 theatrically released Disney feature films. Of course, the list keeps growing, but in the process I've found a lot of hidden gems which don't get the recognition or marketing power of films like The Lion King or Mary Poppins. Others are just horrible.

You may think you've seen pretty much all of them yourself. I thought I had, but quickly found it was a bigger task than I had imagined. Not all of them have been made available on DVD and good VHS copies are getting harder to find. Some haven't been seen by the public since their first run in theaters and remain in obscurity.

The purpose of this blog is to expose others to my discoveries, provide my thoughts and maybe spark some memories for those who might have forgotten.


I'm fairly young considering that the bulk of these films came out before my time. The first Disney movie I remember seeing in the theater was The Black Cauldron when I was three years old! I have a strong affection for the older films and miss the days when they could frequently be seen on The Disney Channel.

Each post will feature one film I've seen, in random order. The criteria will be the list in Dave Smith's book and any films since its printing that are released in theaters under the Walt Disney Pictures moniker. No direct-to-video releases, etc. I may, on occasion, decide to feature a particularly well-made or interesting featurette or other related find here. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Tell your friends about it. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment